Use the arrows to change months
Regional Networking events run by the National Alliance for Museums, Health and Wellbeing
Are you working in a health related organisation and interested in making potential links with museums in your area to explore ways of working together? As part of the Alliance’s Arts Council England funded work for 2017 we are running training workshops aimed at the museum professionals which will support them to develop, deliver and sustain health and wellbeing provision within their organisations.
We will be encouraging museums to think about setting up partnerships with health related organisations in their area and are looking for individuals to come and attend networking days as part of the training programme. Lunch will be provided.
The events are free and will take place between 1-3pm in the following locations:
- London & SE – Wednesday 11 October at Islington Museum, London. On this day there will be museums from: Buckinghamshire, Surrey, Kent, Cambridge, Reading and Hertfordshire and from the following boroughs: Greenwich, Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Tower Hamlets, Camden, Twickenham, Hillingdon, Islington, Haringey, Southwark and Lambeth. To book: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/museums-as-spaces-for-wellbeing-networking-event-se-and-london-tickets-35176302267
- SW – Tuesday 17 October at M Shed, Bristol. On this day there will be museums from: North Devon, Bristol, Salisbury, Swindon, Plymouth, Falmouth, Exeter, Chippenham and Torquay. To book: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/museums-as-spaces-for-wellbeing-networking-event-sw-tickets-36607402727
- SE & E Midlands – Tuesday 31 October at Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge. On this day there will be museums from: Nottinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire Cambridgeshire and Derbyshire. To book: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/museums-as-spaces-for-wellbeing-networking-event-se-and-east-midlands-tickets-35176874980
- W Midlands – Thursday 9 November at Ironbridge Gorge Museums, Telford. On this day there will be museums from: Birmingham, Worcestershire, Staffordshire, Shropshire, Coventry and Warwickshire. To book: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/museums-as-spaces-for-wellbeing-networking-event-west-midlands-tickets-35177273171
- North – Thursday 23 November at Yorkshire Museum, York. On this day there will be museums from: Manchester, York, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Bolton, Preston, Liverpool, Cumbria, Hull, Halifax and Oldham. To book: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/museums-as-spaces-for-wellbeing-networking-event-north-region-tickets-36686715955
If you are interested in finding out more information please contact Laura Bedford: email@example.com
*New* GEM Intermediate Course: Health and Wellbeing
For those already running health and wellbeing provision but are looking for ways to improve or build upon this practice and want to advance your professional development & support wellbeing in your heritage organisation then GEM’s Intermediate Course: Health and Wellbeing might be for you!
The Alliance are working in partnership with GEM as part of their ACE-funded Learning & Sharing Centre project. Health and Wellbeing is one of five GEM intermediate courses that will address the core competencies identified by GEM, to help raise professional standards in the museum, heritage and cultural sector.
The course is aimed at supporting the professional development of mid-career heritage educators involved with health and wellbeing.
GEM says, “Not just one-day workshops!” This course will combine a one-day workshop with a few short activities to be completed prior to and after the workshop, which will reinforce and embed your learning. Working with a passionate peer group, the 6-7-week course will enable participants to reflect on current work to:
• identify and overcome challenges,
• reframe other provision as health and wellbeing programmes,
• and gain inspiration to set up new projects.
The courses will take place in London (27 November 2017) and Manchester (24 January 2018).
Places are limited, so book your place now! For more details please visit the GEM website.
Museums as Spaces for Wellbeing – 2 Day Training
The Alliance are running 2 day free training workshops in 6 regions for museum staff or volunteers who are interested in developing and delivering health and wellbeing work in their organisations. Please see below for more information, dates and how to book:
About the training
Are you interested in exploring how your museum could contribute to people’s health and wellbeing but are not sure where to start? Over the course of two workshops participants will gain the skills and confidence to develop their thinking about this work to support the delivery of health and wellbeing provision within their museum.
The training will help attendees to: overcome the barriers to working with the health sector, create opportunities to contact and meet with potential health and wellbeing partners, begin the process of thinking about your museum its spaces, collections and resources and how they can be utilised in this work, explore ways to measure impact and support organisational change.
This training will be delivered by the National Alliance for Museums, Health and Wellbeing in partnership with Arts Council England Museum Development regional teams.
Who should attend?
This training is aimed at museum staff or volunteers, who are interested in developing and delivering health and wellbeing work within their organisation.
What will you learn?
Day one will include:
- defining what health and wellbeing can be within museums
- an overview of the health sector landscape and jargon busting
- the chance to hear inspiring case studies from museums who have already set-up this work
- introduce ways to work in partnership with health related organisations
- highlighting and identifying key resources available to support museums
- exploring key work which needs to take place within an organisation before delivering provision
- ways to measure impact
Day two: will focus on networking opportunities for participants to meet with potential partners as well as a chance to hear from other museums about their work
Important information: Please note that the workshops are designed so that people attend both sessions as day one is designed to set the foundations for the second day. If you have any queries regarding this please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates and regions
SE – Day 1: Friday 26 May – The Lightbox, Woking & Day 2: Wednesday 11 October – Islington Museum, London. This event has ended.
SW – Day 1: 8 June – Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter & Day 2: 17 October – M Shed, Bristol. This event has ended.
East Midlands & SE – Day 1: Monday 3 July – Mansfield Museum & Art Gallery & Day 2: Tuesday 31 October – Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge. This event has ended
West Midlands – Day 1: Wednesday 12 July – Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery & Day 2: Thursday 9 November – Coalbrookdale, Ironbridge Museums. This event has ended
North – Day 1: Friday 14 July – People’s History Museum, Manchester & Day 2: Thursday 23 November – Yorkshire Museum, York. This event has ended
London – Day 1: Thursday 14 September – Geffrye Museum, Hackney & Day 2: Wednesday 11 October – Islington Museum. Sold out and long waiting list.